Thursday, September 26, 2013

NO Sugar Homemade Ketchup


Ketchup is a staple in our house. Frankie puts 'ketchup on his ketchup'... I could list the items but really any way to get him to try something or even eat at times is with a pile of the yummy stuff. When I embarked on the challenge of eliminating processed sugar from our diets, one of the biggest culprits I found was ketchup!! So after many attempts and many requests for the recipe, I have finally nailed it (according to Frankie).My only suggestion would be to start with 2 Tbsp of honey and add to taste; we like it on the sweet side so we use a little more. I use a Vitamix to blend together, but you could easily use a food processor or even a regular blender should work. This makes a decent amount and fills one of these plus an extra batch to freeze.

NO Sugar Ketchup

2 cans tomato paste (organic preferably with no added ingredients - BPA free)
2 cups water
1/3 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp sweetener (I do a combo of honey, pure maple syrup, and molasses to taste)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ginger
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of sea salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!

The Journey will never truly end and that's ok

Nearly 4 years ago I had my hysterectomy and after years of misdiagnosis, unnecessary surgeries, and a sudden decline in my health, I finall...